Merrymeeting Lake Association Forums  

Go Back   Merrymeeting Lake Association Forums > Merrymeeting Lake Association Forums > Lake History

Old April 15th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Rookie Member

Default Searching for information!

Hello MML folks!

I am a new member to your forum, hoping to find any information, stories and people who knew Ellis W. Smith.

Ellis was my great great uncle. He lived close to Merrymeeting Lake. He was a very colorful character and I have fond memories of times spent camping on his land and spending time with him.

Uncle Ellis was a bit of a hermit, a trapper, hunter and fisherman. He lived in an old shack with a double holer outhouse. He always had pelts hanging outside his place curing. Anyone who knew him well enough to visit him will remember the smell of the scent glands that he saved and used to cover his scent while trapping, and the liniment he made for his "old bones".

Uncle Ellis lived there until he died in May of 1970 at the age of 87. As I recall, he was a fire ranger who also did the spotting duty for enemy aircraft in WWII. He served in WWI.

I know that a lot of development has happened since his time there, but I am hoping that there is still someone who remembers him. There was a man from Wolfeboro, whose name was Bud, who looked in on him regularly. I cannot recall Bud's last name. I also do not recall the name of the road that Uncle Ellis lived on, I just know it was a dirt road and that he was displeased when a new development was going in up the road from him, because it meant more people.

I have many of Uncle Ellis's belongings, which have great meaning to me. I am a Registered Maine Guide and a lot of the ways of the woods that I know came from him.

If you knew Ellis, please leave a message here with any information or stories you may have. I'll be checking back regularly!

Thank you!
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Merrymeeting Expert

Mainegal,
I know the place you're talking about. We bought our land on MML in 1966 on the east end & had to come in off of Middleton Rd. The dirt road you spoke of came off Middleton is now known as Lions Camp Pride Way. About a mile in, it takes a sharp left at the bottom of a hill towards the lake, going straight is old Pine Point Rd. His house was visible on the rise looking in the PinePoint Rd direction. My folks said it was Wildcat Smith's place. Here is the New Durham Assessors data on that property now.... http://data.visionappraisal.com/NewD...e=pid&pid=1235

Here is google map.....
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...orrectthiscard

-RJK
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Rookie Member

I undeerstand that Wildcat also spent his winters in Taunton. True?
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Rookie Member

Banzi-Thanks so much for the information! I imagine the place looks a LOT different from what it was back then. I'd never heard the name "Wildcat" but it definitely fit him!

Oldster- He did spend time in Taunton and the surrounding area, where his family was from. He used to show up right before the holidays, usually late at night. I remember one of my cousins telling me how he scared the spit out of him when he answered the door!

I loved camping up there, it was all so different from our way of life and he was such a fascinating man. I wish that I had asked more questions, and that we had more time. He was old when I met him and even though I got to know him well, it still wasn't enough time to learn what he knew.

Last edited by mainegal; April 22nd, 2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
I undeerstand that Wildcat also spent his winters in Taunton. True?
Just wondering how you knew that! Did you know Ellis?

(just funny how all you said was Taunton and no state...since I gave no info to lead to that tidbit. )
Old July 25th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Rookie Member

I thought I would bring this to the top of the forum again, since it's summer and it may glean more information than I found when I first posted!

Still interested in any information on Ellis W. Smith, stories, memories, etc.

Thanks!
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Rookie Member

Default History

How did you make out with your research? I sounds as though there were a lot of families from Manchester that built some camps in the mid to late 40's?
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:26 PM
Rookie Member

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for responding. I haven't checked this board for awhile, sorry it took so long to answer. I'm still looking for personal stories.

I didn't get much from here other than what you can see. I had hoped some of the old timers were still around and that information would be passed along, and still hope that will be the case, so I will continue to check this thread and bring it forward when I can.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
Rookie Member

I'm still out here searching for information.

In a previous post I mentioned the name of a man who used to check in on Uncle Ellis. His name was Bud. It's possible his last name was Freeman. I know Bud was from Wolfeboro. I've searched records and can't find that name listed but it's entirely possible that he moved away or is deceased. Does that name ring a bell with anyone from the area?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:49 AM
Rookie Member

Default Ellis W. Smith

Still here and still searching!
Old April 25th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Rookie Member

Default Ellis Smith

My mother and father bought Ellis's house when I very young, possibly 3 years old say 1979 ish. They restored it and kept the original foundation and beams. It is the house that I grew up in for 18 years. I know that they used to stop and see him a lot when they were younger before they bought the house because my grandparents had a camp on the lake. My father still lives in the house and I am sure he has stories or information. My mom lives a few hours way but I am sure she has stories as well.
Old June 8th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Rookie Member

Hello Sweetlime,
Thanks so much for responding. I don't check back here very often so I apologize for the length of time it took me to respond.

I am interested in any stories or pictures you and your parents might have of Uncle Ellis. I was afraid that too much time had passed for personal stories to be passed along from people who knew him.

It hard to believe that your parents kept parts of the original house in place. I remember his place as being very small and it had the distinct odor of scent glands from the animals he trapped. The outhouse also stands out, along with the Sears catalogue that we were more used to ordering from, rather that using for what he used it for...