Merrymeeting Lake Association Forums  

Go Back   Merrymeeting Lake Association Forums > Merrymeeting Lake Association Forums > General Discussion

Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:48 PM
Merrymeeting Professional

Default Loons are back

Today while kayaking on the lake, I saw 3 loons near shore in the cove near the "totem pole". They began one of their calls and shortly after a fourth loon answered with the same call. The forth one was on the north side of the narrows, near the house with the big flagpole.

Nice to see them back.
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Default Loons

This may be premature but two loons have been inspecting the real estate on the back side of the island. Today one of them is sitting on shore. I can't tell if this is officially a nest but it looks promising. If they continue to sit there we will put up the protective rope and signage. If anyone sees another site could you post it here?
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Rookie Member

Default Loons

Hey, my name is Reed and I’m the Seacoast biologist for the Loon Preservation Committee this year. I somehow came across these forums and noticed they could be very helpful. From what I’ve put together, there were nesting sites at both Elly Cove and Pine Point. Loons tend to nest in the same area year to year, so it would be great if someone could let me know exactly where Pine Point and Elly Cove are because I’m heading up there soon and it would save much kayaking time. I also noticed that in the past people posted chick sightings as well as other concerns and this would all help me and the loons very much. If you do happen to see anything, leave a message here or send me an email via the webmaster at the contact us link at the bottom of the page.
Thanks.

Last edited by webmaster; June 13th, 2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Default Loons

Hi Reed,
John Cooley told us you'd be around. We live on Elly Cove and have put out the loon protective rope that John asked us to store last year. We had a nest as of about May 16. We put up the ropes shortly after that.

I have not seen a nest on Pine Point this year, although they have nested there nearly every year. Isn't there time left for nesting?

Feel free to contact us at 859-0005 (Bill & Lou McGrew) and use our place for a kayak launch. (57 North Shore Road)

I am sending a copy of this to John, as well as some of our Loon Watching Neighbors.

Last edited by Lou; June 13th, 2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Default Baby Arrives

As of 6:15 am Friday June 15, we have a new baby loon on Elly Cove. Please watch out for Mom, Dad and Junior when you are boating!
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Merrymeeting Expert

Default Doing Well

I have seen the 2007 version of Fluffy the past two days in the cove between Elly and Meaders Points. Last year's Fluffy, at this age, was usually on the back of a parent. I haven't seen this one do that. It swims behind while the parents dive and retrieve food for it. Fluffy is so small, he/she can hardly be seen alone.
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Default any loon chicks this year?

Has anyone sighted loon chicks this year?

The parents are vocal and visible but I haven't yet seen any chicks.
Old July 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Default baby loon spotted on East end

...replying to my own post; sounds sort of desperate for a conversation...

I spotted a well grown baby with the two parents on the east end this morning. Fishing with vigor and diving for extended periods. All looks well!
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Talking Wow! That's great news!!

I'm so glad hear there is a baby on the lake this year. Let us know when you see it again.

Dog
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Unhappy Loon Nest in Elly Cove Fails

I took down the “Loon Nesting Sanctuary” area today because the nest in Elly Cove failed this year. From our observations/calculations, we were hoping that the remaining egg would hatch before or near July 4th.

The loons were dedicated to the nest, full-time, until around July 3rd or July 4th. There were originally 2 eggs in the nest but one egg disappeared mid-June, possibly due to a predator or maybe it was an unfertilized egg that was rejected by the adults.

This year was particularly tough for the loons at the Elly Cove nest site for three reasons. Primarily the incredible amounts of rain we’ve had raised the lake level higher than usual for June/July. After taking down the barriers today, I went over and checked the nest site. When I peered through the brush from my boat, I didn’t find any egg shells or whole eggs at the nesting site. This might indicate a predator found the second egg. However, there is also a good chance that the original nest site was flooded as a result of high water from all of the rain.

Also, this year there have been several inconsiderate boaters coming into the cove faster than “No Wake Speed”. Loons are actually ocean birds that cannot walk on land. You can tell from their appearance that they are actually related to penguins. Not being able to walk on land means they must make their nests very near water, but in an area where changing water levels or waves are not a threat to their eggs. Nest sites near the ocean are impossible due to tide changes and wave action. That is why they carefully hide their nests on the shorelines of lakes in areas that are non-sloping and just above the water level of the lake. Their nests are simple depressions on the shore only a few feet from the water’s edge. On any lake where loons nest, even small waves have the potential to wash their nests away. This year, one jerk actually came into the cove and did a “figure 8” while making a large wake. I wish I had his bow number.

Finally, in the past, July 4th fireworks in the cove have disturbed the nesting loons. However, I’m not convinced that fireworks had any effect on the loons’ nest this year since the lake’s water level was so high prior to July 4th. I do know that after July 4th the nest was abandoned. Was that the last straw? I don’t know.

Unfortunately, nesting loons all across the U.S. are disturbed by boat wakes when they initially build their nests and lay eggs around Memorial Day, and again by boat wakes and fireworks on the Fourth of July. Loon nests get the American summer vacation “double wammy”.

Cross you fingers for next year.
Dog
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Question Has the baby loon been seen again?

I've been out several times since Ken reported seeing a baby loon and I haven't found the family. Have there been any more sightings? If you’ve seen them, where on the lake and when did you see them? I’d like to verify the sighting for the Loon Conservation Committee.

Two or three boatloads of observers participated in the annual loon census last Saturday morning from 8am to 9am and only found 2 adult loons and no baby. We’ve regularly seen at least 3 adult loons residing on the lake this year, (a pair and a “bachelor”), but 6 have been seen together near Pleasant Cove on occasion. The theory is that the additional 3 loons are “fly-ins” that come to Merrymeeting to join our 3 for fishing, but leave afterwards probably to go back to Winnipesaukee for the night.

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Dog
Old July 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Default Baby loon (may have been the bachelor)

Hi Dog,
The more I think about it (plus no additional sightings) the more I think what I saw was the mysterious bachelor, not a baby. I did post that it was a "well grown baby", as it was definitely not a "fluffy." Probably was a younger loon fishing with them that morning (east end between the stream inlet and Camp Lion's Pride beach).
Sorry for the false sighting,
ken
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Default Baby Loon sighting.

No apology necessary Ken. I was just hoping you had seen a fresh baby. The more eyes out there the better.
Thanks,
Dog
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Administrator

We were out in the boat on Tuesday night around dusk and beyond. At approximately 9:00 PM , saw the two loons together off Elly Point.

On our way back home at about 10:00 heard a lone one calling from the east end, near Camp Pride. But it wasn't getting a response.

Also saw what we assume was the "teenager" in the middle of the lake early this morning. He/she had a loose feather that was flapping around and there was some joking about how he had been out carousing for the night and needed to get his act together before going home to mom and dad.

Old July 29th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Merrymeeting Expert

On a tour of the lake today we spotted one loon in Pleasant Cove and another off Pine Point, both times just ahead of the boat. Shifted to neutral and coasted to within 30 feet of both birds. Neither seemed to care about our presence. Kept an eye on us but continued to look under water for food until eventually diving. I've never seen them so up close before. Beautiful birds.
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Smile Loons!

Saturday morning at 5:45 there was an 8 loon pile-up
roughly 90 feet off the moorings at Broad Cove.
It lookes like a minimum of two babies maybe three.
They were having a heck of a good time and very loud!
Stayed in their group until +/- 6:30 until canoes came by.
Two or three flew towards Meaders.
Later that day just 2.
Amazing how many boats bomb by! Either they don't see or don't care!
Many water skier boats full throttle straight close towards the coves.

Windswept
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Twice during this week we've seen what appears to be a family of 4 on the lake. Two adults, two adolescents. Somewhat surprising in that we didn't have any babies on the lake this year so they've come in from elsewhere.

Isn't it early for them to be migrating already?

Old August 14th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Default 8 loons sighted!

Saw a pack (flock?) of (8) loons this past Sunday morning in the Eastern shores area, heading towards the river inlet.
Couldn't believe my eyes, convinced myself they must be mergansers that look like loons. However, it wasn't long and the loon calls and cavorting started. Strange seeing a pack of (8) all together (no visible difference in sizes from where I stood on shore with naked eyes).
Many appeared to be getting their wings ready as they tried to run/fly fair distances across the top of the water (no flight time was gained).
Boaters also noted the activity and came out to investigate/photograph. Any photos that can be posted?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:44 PM
Merrymeeting Knowledge

Default Loons

Where are the loons? The floating nest is not occupied and I'm wondering if we'll get some chicks this year.
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Someone who lives near the cover where they nest told me they abandoned the two eggs they had last week

They had nested on the shore, still not taking to the floating nest that is out there for them.